Monday, November 28, 2016

Yikes

I didn't want to post this. I still don't. Because, while I'm stoked on my results, I am--frankly--horrified at the before pics.

I knew I was gaining weight last year. That's what Sunday Funday and Relax Friday and Whatever Saturday and kinda whatever beer or cookies or both for dinner whenever I feel like it will do over the course of a year. My friends told me I looked fine, most of my clothes still fit (albeit not very well), and I avoided the scale because what does that matter, anyway?

It matters a lot, 20 pounds to be specific which, in case you don't know, on 5'2" me, is a lot.

It matters because it's not the version of myself I envision when I think about my best self.

So I joined this challenge, and I followed it because I wanted the best results possible. After only a few weeks, my friends were telling me I was inspiring them, but I wasn't doing anything extra, just sticking to the commitment I'd made.

As of the challenge end, I had lost 27 pounds and over 30 inches. To date, I have lost 30 pounds and probably more inches. My mile time is down to 7:06, and as of yesterday, I can do 3 unassisted pull-ups.

But more than the physical strength I gained came the power of being true to and aligning with the person I wanted to be. The true strength came purely from just being me.

And part of being me means struggling. It is hard for me to admit that I let myself go over the past year. It makes me feel vulnerable and like I'm going to be judged. Except I also realize something..in the willingness to be vulnerable also lies real strength and power. I don't need to hide who I am or the parts that made me this way. I'm okay with admitting that I fell out of line with who I was...and that I needed help to get back to that person. Now I'm back to where I want to be, but it took pure determination and commitment to get there. It wasn't easy, but I did it.

And that is why, ultimately, I decided to share. I would love it if you would vote for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment