Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Someday is elusive...life is happening now.



Life is happening now.

A year from now, you will wish you started today.

The best time to start was yesterday. The next best time to start is now.

I could go on and on with quotes about how we only have right now, but quotes are meaningless unless you actually understand them. Actually, maybe what I really want to say is that quotes are meaningless unless you apply them. Live them. Synthesize your knowledge with your life and then you have wisdom.

 But I digress.

I’ve been living my life waiting for “someday.” Someday I’ll stop eating sugar because I know how awful it makes me feel. Someday I’ll get better at keeping in touch with the friends I rarely see. Someday I’ll start writing again.

Someday has been a long time coming. I’ve had these vague goals for a couple of years. But I haven’t given up cookies and processed foods completely (I have the tight pants to prove it), if my mom calls and I’m tired I’ll probably let it go to voicemail, and I can’t remember the last time I sat down and worked on my latest writing project.

Someday hasn’t come around in two years. At this rate, it might never.  Someday is elusive. Life is happening now.

And if life is happening now…that means the me that I am right now…is who I am. Which begs the question…am I proud of who I am right now? Am I who I want to be right now? Because being anyone other than the person you want to be is settling.

And I refuse to settle. Life is too short to settle, to keep putting off what you want to do, where you want to go, or who you want to be.

And what I know about myself is that I want to be the one who is acting rather than speaking, going rather than thinking, and achieving rather than dreaming.

Life is now. The time is now. Live life in a way that makes you proud right now. Because right now is all there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment